Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Boring Beginning... sigh

Hmm... well, I finished Beautiful Creatures, and I have to say, I wasn't too impressed.  Over all, I'd have to say it was boring, and I am disappointed that my YALSA reading project started off so full of suck.  I just wasn't drawn in to the characters or their world.  I didn't think the relationship between Ethan and Lena came across very strong.  They have this psychic connection, so, you know, they can talk to each other from across town and stuff, but I just didn't feel it.  It takes more than just saying "these two people have a strong connection and are in love" to make it feel believable.  

There were also points in the narrative that I had to stop and re-read because the authors would mention a detail that I was supposed to have gotten before but missed, or the action was choppy and I'd be reading along and then suddenly the scene would change, and it was a complete non sequitur and I would be mightily confused, but I just kept reading and brushed it off because I wanted the book to be over.  

I also didn't understand the title.  Who or what are the beautiful creatures?  Are they supposed to be Lena and Ethan being beautiful together?  I just didn't get it.  I like when titles mean something in the context of the book.  I think that if someone would have asked ME (which no one did, and I can't imagine why) I would have titled it Sixteen Moons.  This would have made more sense.  I'm also worried that they are going to attempt a series out of this, because the main characters are in tenth grade, so they could do at least a trilogy while they're still in high school.  Ugh, I hope not. (UPDATE: They are.  Beautiful Darkness comes out in October.)

On the plus side, the librarian in the book was portrayed as eccentric but cool, which I appreciate, but that's just about this book's only redeeming factor.

So even though the first book was suck-y, I'm still excited about reading most of the other books on the list.  Right now though, I'm starting The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson, which I am super pumped to be reading (a month before it comes out in the US, whoops).

No comments: