Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am about to confess something:

I have a total author-crush on John Green.  I've read all four of his books and subscribe to his vlog Brotherhood 2.0 and frequent his website and have seriously considered joining twitter just so I could @ him, and I may have a giant panda crush on him/his books/his writing.

That being said, I finished WGWG at about 11:15, which is good, because I didn't finish it at, like, 3:15, but bad because it is over.  I really started out not liking David Levithan's Will Grayson, but then I really liked him, and I think I ended up liking John Green's Will Grayson a lot less than DL's because JG's Will Grayson was kind of a bitch, who, yeah, came of age and stuff, but he whined about it a lot.  Par exemple, there was one point when he was crying around page 220, and I wasn't sure really why he was so upset and I felt like saying, "buck up, JG's Will Grayson, because you can't go through life crying like a little bitch," but I guess that's what you were supposed to think, because if nothing else both David Levithan and John Green construct some exceptionally believable characters, even if they are sometimes just a little too wise.

One thing that I was really impressed with in WGWG though was how distinct the two author's voices were.  I don't know why I even thought about it in the first place, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to tell who wrote which part, but it was obvious after the first couple of words who each author's Will Grayson was.  Then, after I got over that, I sort of marveled through the rest of the book how difficult it must be and how much patience you have to have to write a book with someone else.  I think that I would have too many opinions about how I wanted the other writer's character to think and act, and there is this one character, Tiny Cooper, who spans both stories, and, jeez!, what if the other author did something that you didn't like with the character.  Or, even worse, what if the author did something with the character that you liked more?  I just really think it would take a lot of trust to write a book with another person.  DL and JG totally pull it off, though, and I will recommend Will Grayson Will Grayson to lots and lots of people at the library tomorrow.  I loved it!

No comments: