Monday, November 17, 2008

November Disappointments

I'm so disappointed in myself. My reading this month has been seriously lacking. I am still wading through Abhorsen by Garth Nix. I really do like it, honest, but it just doesn't grip me. I'm close to the end, and I like a lot of the ideas Nix has about death, and any book with a nod to the multiverse gets an A+ in my book; however, this battle sequence is getting pretty drawn out. I want something to just happen! It seems like there are a lot of tiny, unnecessary obstacles that Lirael has to get through, and because there are so many of them it is getting cumbersome.

I'm also having trouble where to go next with my reading. I have pages of books to be read and an entire county library system at my fingertips, but I'm just lost. I don't think I can take another fantasy book right now, but if Brisingr by Christopher Paolini comes in for me at the library, I have to take it. I've been waiting for that book ever since I finished Eldest, and now I'm number 3 on the list, and the two people ahead of me already have their books waiting, so technically I'm number 1. I also feel like maybe I should read something classic. I've never read any of the Brontes, and I think that should be rectified. I also have been hankering for a good non-fiction book. There's this one by Tom Standage called A History of the World in Six Glasses that I thought looked good, and another about tomato farming, by Tim Stark. I love tomatoes. There are just too many choices. I know it isn't true, but I feel like they're all going to go away if I don't read them all right now. I wish I lived in communist China where I would only have one option.

1 comment:

PeaceLoveMath said...

Oh good, I'm glad you commented on my post, because I thought your blog was broken. You just changed the url.

I didn't know Aunt Judy was waiting for the second book! I'm sorry I forgot to bring it over last night, I should drop it off to you tomorrow so you can take it to class for her. I will do that. When do you work? Call me...it would be easier to drop it at the library! Or I guess I could send it to work with Paul to come home with Dad.